Friday, August 22, 2008

Gulf Coasting

Well, I went through all my back up discs last night, and aside from the new stuff I had just downloaded prior to the the computer blowing up, there are a LOT of kits I'm missing, including some of my favorites, like the BoHo collection and Wild Kingdom.

And while I'm not adverse to re-purchasing one or two kits, the prospect of loosing all that stuff is not really pleasant. So I'm going to have to try something - maybe Saturday - to recover that stuff. After all the hard drive should still be usuable, I just need to find a way to wire it into the new system.

In any case, one thing I did run across was the work file for the Catfish piece I'd done in April. I was sort of pleased by this because I'd used it for a while as my wallpaper at work. This lead to two things. The first is that it needed to be redone, because some of it just wasn't working.

The other was that the kit had possiblities that I'd not seen before.

Diamond,black cat
Catfish - revisited


The kit in question is Maria LaFrance's Under the Sea, which has been retired and is no longer available, although she has an Album set available using the theme. And for some reason the colors got me thinking of the sea and the "Gulf Coast" part of Gulf Coast league and so...I went home and tried it out.

The result is the "Gulf Coasting" layouts which I really like. In fact, I like them enough that I want to do a whole team set using the theme, although I'm sure I'm going to miss a player here or there. I haven't seen Angelo pitch, for example, so I have no pictures of him.

The first set however:

GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


GCL Twins


That's been kind of the interesting thing this year with the baseball layouts...None of the baseball themed kits seem to work because they were mainly created for little leaguers. Besides, it would get boring really fast to do the same thing over and over again. So I have to "discover" kits that work.

Jurassic Art is one of them, strangely enough. Under the Sea, which was designed for creating aquarium pictures, is another, giving the underlying theme of baseball on the Gulf Coast.

I've found several really nice ones that work. I wish I could find some more. I really wanted the Wild Kingdom kit to scrap the rest of the L-Tigers pictures with, but lacking that, I guess I'm struck using Afican Beat.

In any case, I was looking at the Album set last night and liked some of the layout ideas in it - like using the buckle as a frame - so I'll have to see about incorporating them into the layouts for the guys I've yet to get too. I might just have to buy that album set for the heck of it.

No comments: