Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pretty Fly

I was going to segue off with the Green Fly Poser, but decided to do a separate post instead.

she only makes one appearance in this week's T-13, where she is a seen talking with Diamond Dog, who resides with Perfectly Parker and Company.

Dog,Autumn,Fairies


I used the EVERY beautiful Enchanted Forest kit for this tag. The PTU kit is by Kathy Goldstein and can be found at Ahhh Scrap. It's not a fall kit, but it's prefect for fairy layouts. It's also a full sized kit so you can use it to scrap pictures of your own little fairies.

While I was doing research for Diamond's post on the Wee Folk today, I came across a folktale on a how a woman had hidden some of her children from God, then spent the rest of her life looking for them in vain. They had become the hidden people, the first fairies. This is similar to the Scandinavian tale of the Huldra, in which a mother had washed only half her children when God came to her cottage. Ashamed of the dirty ones, she hid them. God decreed that those she had hidden from him would be hidden from mankind as well, and they became the first Huldrer.

A huldra is described as a stunningly beautiful, sometimes naked woman with long hair; though from behind she is hollow like an old tree trunk, and has an animal's tail. In Norway, she has a cow's tail, and in Sweden she may have that of a cow or a fox. Further in the north of Sweden, the tail can be entirely omitted in favor of her hollow or bark-covered back.

In Norway, the huldra has often been described as a typical dairymaid, wearing the clothes of a regular farm girl, although somewhat more dazzling than most girls.

Any, I've now gotten way of track. But I found the equating of children to fairies rather interesting.

Do you believe in fairies?

Having messed up a tag I'd done for Diamond's blog, I ended up using this tag instead.

Fairies,Fantasy,Poser


The kit is the Enchanted kit from Designs by Helly (one of my favorites). The word art was a freebie some weeks ago on Digital Freebies from Dielle (Diannalynn Claridge) and was designed for her Second Star to the Right kit, which is Peter Pan themed.

I've stayed way from the Disney concept of fairies, largely because they are so watered down from Folklore as to be unrecognizable in most cases. Although honestly, the blame in that can be placed on James Barrie's Peter and Wendy novel which introduced the Peter Pan stories in 1911. Most of Disney's fairies are Good Fairies, and in folklore, fairies are rarely 100% good.

Green Wood

Fairies,Fantasy,Poser


Another really beautiful Scrap kit is Urban Mermaid's Fairy Dreams in the Woods which served as the background for this piece. I really love the little paper bird. The kit has it's own little fairies included, but I did not use them in this layout.

Green Beauty

Fairies,Fantasy,Poser


This tag was done using Bluedream Designs Emerald Beauty kit, which is FTU. I needed a "tag" or a journaling block however, so first I tried the My Family Tree kit, where I found the gold feather, and then the Old News Scrapkit, where I finally found the journaling block.

I think it could have used a few more gold accents, but on the whole, I'm really pretty happy with the piece.

You'll be seeing more of the little Green Fly fairy in upcoming tags. She's not really Christmasy, but the green and gold colors should work very well for a Christmas tag, I would think.

No comments: