Wednesday, April 9, 2008

To Hell and Back

vacation
Click on image to enlarge.


Hell is a group of short, black, limestone formations in the northwest Grand Cayman town of West Bay. It is roughly the size of half a soccer field, and people are not allowed in amongst the limestone formations; two viewing platforms exist for tourists. There are numerous versions of how Hell received its name, but they are generally variations on "a local official exclaimed, 'This is what Hell must look like.'"

Regardless of how it first came to be called Hell, the name stuck and the area has become something of a tourist attraction, featuring a post office from which you can send "postcards from hell", and a gift shop with 'Satan' passing out souvenirs while greeting people with phrases like 'How the hell are you?' and 'Where the hell are you from?'

When I was there, the post office was very quaint, and had a picture of the Queen on the wall. I'm now told it's been paint red and giving a more hellish appearance.

I made use of the Beachin' kit from Scrap Girls on this one and deliberately left out the picture with my ex in them, because I've discovered that I really don't like looking a him anymore.

I'm also really sorry I did not discover this kit earlier when we got going on the beach theme. It's very useful.

No comments: